Keep your eyes peeled for us in the latest edition of the SA2 Times where we talk about theÂ festive (tension) headacheâ€¦
We all know the feeling. Last minute panic buying, rushing around the shops elbowing people out the way to get the last â€˜Princess Barbieâ€™ at 4.55pm on Christmas eve. Then bam! Before you know it, itâ€™s hit you â€“ no not another shopper, the tension headache.
Tension headaches are the most common type of headache suffered by adults and can affect up to 78% of the population. It can feel like a tight band around your head, you can have pain/stiffness in the neck, scalp or shoulders and can last anywhere from 30 minutes to a few days.
- Poor posture
- Lack of physical activity
- Muscle tension or strain to the joints of the neck or upper back
- Hot/cold treatment to the back of the neck
- Stress management â€“ you can use techniques such as mindfulness or yoga
- Regular exercise
- Increase hydration (water)
- Over the counter painkillers (consult with your GP before taking any medication)
Osteopathic treatment has been shown to help headaches in many studies. Techniques including massage, spinal manipulation and acupuncture have all been recommended by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidelines.
So if you suffer with headaches, why not give us a call? Donâ€™t suffer in pain â€“ see an Osteopath!